3 Months to Thirty Episode 6

0

 3 Months to Thirty by Sarah Adeniji







EPISODE 6

WHEN LOVE HAPPENS 

Dear Diary, I couldn't stop thinking of Dad and Auntie Beatrice throughout that day. My concentration shifted from Dr. Rita to my errant Dad. I had idolized him all my life, I thought he was the only perfect man in my world and the pain of betrayal was deep.


To everyone he's simply Engineer Solomon Akeju, but to me he's everything. My Dad wasn't too religious but he was raised an Anglican. One of the priceless memories I had as a teenager was sticking beside him in church so that I could take photographs of people greeting him warmly. He is an embodiment of wisdom and I have come to rely on his strength.


When I got home that Thursday night I was told Dad was arround, the old MJ would have rushed into his arms hanging on his every word but this new and disappointed MJ just isn't interested. Luckily enough for me, he wasn't in the sitting room so I told Mom I would see Dad later and dashed into my room.


I woke up on Friday Morning full of energy, I went through my morning routine of washing my face and applying a face mask before kneeling at my favorite prayer spot.


"Dear God, thank you for waking me up today. I thought Daddy was a good and perfect example of the type of man I wanted but I was wrong. I can't believe Daddy is a cheat after all he told me about staying faithful in a relationship. He's the reason I vowed to remain Faithful after he scolded me twice for cheating in my relationship not knowing he's like this. Please forget about the prayer I prayed yesterday, I don't want a man like Dad anymore. Send a good man and sensible man that will love me and stay Faithful."


I chose to wear a beautiful black gown and matched it with simple accessories. Today is Friday and I can afford to step away from the conventional. My meeting with Dr. Rita has been scheduled to hold by 2:00PM and I want to impress her, I don't want her case to be one of the few leads that decided not to sign the contract because they weren't impressed with my pitch.


I enjoyed the early morning drive to work because it helped me clear my head and mind. I contemplated calling Dad but had a second thought and dropped the phone. 


"MJ, it happened long ago. You have to move past this so that it won't ruin the beautiful relationship you have with your dad"


I know I should move past what happened with dad and Auntie Beatrice but I don't know how. I remembered how I had cheated on Kunle in school and it was Dad that took it upon himself to scold me.


I met Kunle when I was 22, we both attended a popular private University and was madly in love. His parent came from old money like mine and our life was perfect until Ben was admitted for a post graduate course in our school.


Kunle was good to me but he wasn't smart and intelligent. He wasn't bothered about his low grades because he had been assured that his results would be upgraded before graduation. He was going to inherit his father's Oil and gas business after his University education and cared less about University grades.


I introduced him to my parent after going on steady with him for 6 months and Mom loved him instantly. He was fair, tall, and handsome; he made me feel like the only girl in the room and I didnt mind the fact that he was clingy.


I wasn't the bookish type but I was above average, Kunle joked severally that he'll leave the book to me while he brings in the money. We were going to get married after graduation and I have met his family.


When Ben transferred to our school I felt drawn to him. He was smart and had a cute smile. He wasn't as handsome as Kunle but he was attractive and that was enough.


Ben and I met when our cars collided at the school gate. He wanted to fix my car because he was at fault but I told him not to bother. He gave me his  card in case I changed my mind.


It started with a harmless call, followed by another and several calls later because I felt drawn to him. I kept the fact that I had a serious relationship away from him. I allowed myself to enjoy his company and began to draw away from Kunle.


Ben was a genuis, I was never bored anytime I found myself in his company which was frequent considering the fact that we were studying the same course and he took it upon himself to explain courses I found difficult to comprehend. I found myself in love with Ben few months later, I didn't know how to explain to Kunle so I started dating both of them secretly. 


It was difficult keeping Ben away from Kunle because almost every one around me knew I was in a serious relationship with Kunle. I found out that what I had with Ben was deeper because we connected on all levels; if I was asked to choose between both of them it would certainly be Ben.


Ben was in my room one day after we came back from a date when I heard a knock on the door. Kunle didn't inform me he'll be coming and I was surprised to see him at the door.


"Sandra" He was staring at me with hurt in his eyes and I knew instantly that someone must have told him about Ben. Kunle was the only guy that ever called me Sandra; he was deeply in love with me. Kunle would jump into the ocean without a second thought if I asked him to, but it wasn't enough for me. I was so young and only realized my folly when I was older.


"Kunle! You didn't tell me you'll be visiting" I said looking surprised.


"I have been calling you, why are you not picking my calls?"


"I was busy"  


"Let me in, why are you standing by the door?"


"I have a guest, can you come another time?"


"Who is the person? You should introduce me" he pushed the door wider and stepped in. Ben was sitting comfortably on my sofa.


My heart was beating erratically but I managed to close the door and walked after Kunle.


"Ben this is my best friend Kunle, I don't think you've met him before" I said quickly.


"Hi Kunle, I'm Ben" he extended his hand for an handshake and was surprised by the cold stare Kunle gave him.


"You are not welcome here" Kunle said without offering any greeting.



Ben stood up slowly and picked his mobile phone from the table.


"See you later MJ" he said and headed out.


To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement, When I got over the embarrassment I was completely furious.


"How dare you Kunle? How dare you walk in here to embarrass my guest.


"Jeez MJ! You are making a fool out of me! All my friends are seeing both of you together in town! You go everywhere together behaving like a school girl in love. What has gotten into you?".


"I can't do this anymore Kunle"


"You can't do what?" He asked looking hurt.


"I can't do us anymore. I really tried to make things work between us but I'm in love with Ben"


"You want to throw away what we have over a fling? Do you know this guy Sandra? He's a confirmed womanizer, he's just playing with you. We are getting married next year, don't do this to us" he pleaded.


"I cant marry you out of pity Kunle. Ben is the one for me, we connect on all levels. He's..."


"Stop it! Stop this Sandra! He's just using you! Do you know what I found out about him..."


"How long?" I said slowly.


"I've known since about 3 months now. I was waiting for you to come to your senses. You have to choose between both of us, I can't share you".


"I choose Ben, it's over Kunle".


"Jeez! You'll regret this Sandra. You'll regret choosing him over what we have, I know I'm not perfect but..."


"Leave Kunle! Please!"


That was the last time we ever spoke. I called Ben to apologize for how Kunle treated him and he was cool about everything.


I was in Ben's apartment few months later because he promised to help me with my assignment. I had just a year to graduate and the workload of constant assignment was driving me crazy. He told me he treated the topic in his final year project and handed me a copy. I must confess that Ben was really a brilliant guy despite the fact that his family did not have old money like mine.


That was when I saw it, I opened to his dedication page and saw the inscription:


"To the Only Woman I'll ever love. Thanks for being the only light in my dark world Britney; forever is the deal Darling".


My whole world shattered into tiny pieces and I lost composure immediately.


"Ben"


"Yes dear"


"Who's Britney?"


"Britney? I can't believe I have never told you about her" he said with a smile.


"She's your ex?" I desperately wanted his answer to be yes, even if it was going to be a lie.


"No, she's my woman. You've not seen her around because she's currently in UK running her Masters. I'm her expecting her back next year, we'll be married as soon as she's back".


"You are in a relationship?" I said in shock. I was trying hard not to cry.


"No MJ, I'm engaged. I thought you knew".


"I knew? Then what am I doing with you?".


"I thought you are in a relationship already, I thought you understood that we just like each other and want to be together".


"We have slept together Ben! Severally! I can't believe you are saying this. You said what we have is special".


"It Is dear! But I can't leave you for Britney. You see, I was once a drug addict. Britney stood by me even when I spent a year in a psychiatric home".


"What about me? I gave up everything for you! You are so unfair" I said hitting his shoulder with clenched fists as tears poured down my cheeks.


"I love you MJ, but it's not enough. Britney is my life".


I was so heartbroken that I couldn't concentrate on anything in school, it hurt seeing Ben around school smiling as if nothing happened.


I packed my bags and went home to cool off. Dad was in the sitting room when I got home, I opened the door and ran into his arms crying.


"That was so foolish of you Moni" he said after listening to my side of the story.


"I know Dad, but I love Ben so much" I said amidst tears.


"And you betrayed Kunle for this man? You shouldn't have allowed yourself to get carried away by your emotions. Nothing good ever comes out of cheating".


"Do you think I should beg Kunle?".


He shook his head silently "You can't cheat on people you love and expect them to be the same. Even if he forgives out of love he'll never forget. You'll always be a threat to his peace of mind. He loved you Moni; he came to see me to discuss your wedding some months back. I was surprised when he stopped getting in touch".


"I'm sorry Dad".


"It's OK Princess, I know you have learnt your lesson. Love cannot be betrayed and remain the same, that is why you should think thrice before betraying a heart that truly loves you".


That was the second and last time I ever cheated in my relationship. I saw my Dad as an embodiment of wisdom and lived my his words. I parked my car at my usual parking lot and headed for the elevator, I was inside the office in 5 minutes.


"Wow! You look hot! You have a date after work?" Mary said looking at me curiosly.


"I wish! I have to meet an important  client this afternoon".


"A male? You are going to cause commotion..."


"No, a female. Mary you really need to do something about your overactive imagination" I said smiling.


"If you can borrow me this your shape for the weekend I'll have a boyfriend before Monday. There is this guy..."


"I have to go Mary! I really have to go!" I shouted and escaped into my office. I went over Dr Rita's file again, I studied and memorized Everything from her hobbies to her favourite food and color. By the time it was past 1was feeling hot despite the fact that my office was Air Conditioned.


I pulled out a small mirror from my bag and proceeded to repair my makeup. I called Margret Thatcher to give her an update before leaving the office.


I got to our meeting point an hour early and ordered for something to eat because I missed lunch. It was something light, I had finished my meal and was sipping a sweet wine when she arrived.


She wore a simple gown, with a small jacket, her hair was braided and her makeup simple. Everything on her has such a touch of class and simplicity that I felt overdressed.


She has so much masculine features that I found it hard to describe her as beautiful but she was charming and attractive.


"Dr Rita?" I said and extended my hand for an handshake.


"You are the famous MJ? My secretary can't stop talking about you. You are beautiful".


I wasn't expecting a compliment from her and it threw me off guard. She's so confident in her own skin.


"Thanks Dr..."


"Drop that Dr crap! You can call me Miss Rita. Let's get down to business" she sat down and the waiter hurried to her side immediately.


"Just water please. I can see that MJ already took care of herself" she was smiling at the waiter and he blushed.


For the first time in my life I was lost for word, what kind of wedding idea do you push on a woman in her late thirties? It's obvious she already knows what she want and I just have to play along.


"Let me see what you have got there MJ".


I handed the file to her and she studied it. I can bet she didn't miss any detail.


"This is not final Miss Rita, we can make adjustment or just go along with whatever you think you want".


"It's fine, I don't really want too much. I just want to get married to Toro and get it over with" she said still smiling.


"I know you want a perfect wedding, I mean who doesn't. I'm here to help you achieve just that". I was getting my momentum back and I felt as if I was in control once again.


"You are wrong. I don't want a perfect wedding because I'm not perfect. I turned down his marriage proposal but he kept hunting me down wherever I go. He said he's the only one for me".


"That must be so satisfying. I can't imagine someone's saying that to me, I'll be in cloud nine" I smiled.


"When you are my age marriage does not intoxicate you that much" she smiled back.


"That's strange. I thought the older women get the more desperate they are to settle down".


"Well, it's certainly true for some women but not for me. I have been through a lot relationship wise. I have met several bad guys, I was even the bad girl to some of them. I have done several things I'm not proud of. Then I decided to give up on this whole marriage thing because it was messing up with my mental health. I faced my career solely and achieved dream after dream".


"Don't you get lonely? How do you cope?"


"Yeah! The loneliness. At first I allow the void to become huge; I was feeding it with a promiscuous lifestyle. Then I started binging on alcohol, took some harmful substances and abused sleeping pills but it didn't work".


"Then what?" I felt drawn to her in a way I could not explain.


"Then Christ happened" she smiled.


"Christ?"


"I became born again and all things became new. Suddenly it didn't matter no more if I was single and alone; the desperation faded" She was looking serious.


I was holding my breathe unknowingly and I let it out. I wish I could be as confident as this woman.


"How did you find your fiance" I asked slowly.


"No, I didn't find him. He found me in the place of purpose and prayer"


"Where exactly?" I was trying not to sound desperate but I needed information in order to know where to look.


"He found me in Church. I wasn't really into him but he kept coming. He practically chased me all over the place. When you are my age you'll understand that the number of available single men get thinner and thinner as you age. He is special, I had to let go and let God have His way".


"Awnn!!! That's sweet".


"I like you MJ, you are such s sweet girl. You should come see me sometimes" she placed her card on the table.


I picked up the card and dropped it inside my bag.


"I'm happy for you Miss Rita. I'm glad love found you at this age..."


"It will happen for you too MJ. If you don't force it and let go love will come for you. When love happens it can be the most beautiful thing you have ever experienced. I saw the questions in your eyes and wish I can answer them but there is no time".


I stared at her for a long time and she stared back, I felt this kind of unusual connection I found hard to explain.


"About your wedding?"


"I want something private, I can afford to hire your company to plan my wedding but it'll be such a waste of money".


"We can work around your budget" I said quickly.


"To be sincere MJ I came here to see you. My wedding plans have been taken care of. However, my niece will reach out to your company soon. She's having her dream wedding soon and wants all the paparazzi" she said winking.


"We'll be grateful" I said trying not to look disappointed.


"Call me" she said smiling.


I was staring into space several minutes after she left, I have not met such a confident, and charming bride before.


I got a beep on my phone and picked it up to check. The text was from Margret Thatcher.


"Success? MJ we need this account."


To be continued...


Don't forget to drop your comment after reading, feel free to use the share icon and share this story via link. Follow the blog so that you'll get notification when I drop another Episode. Episode 7 coming out soon.


To read free articles/content on relationship and marriage click HERE


DON'T MISS THESE!!!

1. 3 Months to Thirty

2. 3 Months to Thirty Prologue

3. 3 Months to Thirty EP 1

4. 3 Months to Thirty EP 2

5. 3 Months to Thirty EP 3

6. 3 Months to Thirty EP 4

7. 3 Months to Thirty EP 5

8. Why Guys Dump Good Girls

9. 5 Turn-off things guys do when toasting


Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)