3 Months to Thirty Episode 5

0

 3 Months to Thirty by Sarah Adeniji



EPISODE 5

DADDY IS NOT PERFECT

Dear Diary, I couldn't forget Mom's statement or the look on her face throughout the day on Wednesday. All my life I had known my Dad to be a gentle and easy going man; he's a wonderful husband to mom and a great Dad.


"Your Dad isn't perfect Moni"


I tried to imagine Dad being unfaithful or doing something terrible to Mom but the picture just didn't click. Dad worshipped Mom and I wondered why he allowed her push him around at times.


Dad is always busy during the week, we hang out most weekends when I don't have an "On Site" assignment. I picked up my phone and called him on Wednesday evening on my way back from work.


"Hello Dad"


"Princess"


"How are you doing? I miss you"


"I'm doing fine Moni, just a little bit sore . I played golf with a friend this afternoon and outdid myself. Your father is an old man"


"No Dad, you are not even 50 yet. You are strong and ageless" I said jokingly.


"You are about two decades short" he said laughing.


"I'm serious Dad. You look so charming and handsome, I'm thinking of arranging a hot side chick for you" I said lowering my voice.


"You want your mother to kill me? I have a gorgeous wife and a wonderful daughter; those are the only women in my life now. I'm happy and content Moni"


I tried to blink away the tears that gathered around my eyes; his love and commitment towards us have been unwaivering for years.


"You are the best, I cant love you less".


"Love you too princess. Let's hangout this weekend".


My faith in Dad was reinstated after the call, I knew whatever Dad's imperfection was it's sure not infidelity. I remembered the appointment I have with one of the brides on Thursday and wondered how I would be able to pull off both dates.


I woke up early on Thursday morning and went over my schedule for the day. 


"Dear God, thank You for waking me up today. I have this feeling I cannot explain, can you please help me make right choices today. When are you sending the man you promised? I want a man like Dad: loving, caring, and faithful. Amen"


I was out of the house by 6:30AM. I made extra effort with my appearance and managed to look both professional and gorgeous at the same time. Whenever I'm hanging out with Mom I made sure I look my best. I don't understand how she manages to look chic in her early sixies. 


I was booked for lunch with Rita by 2:00PM. She's in her late thirties and knows exactly what she wants. It's not common to come across older looking brides; most of the brides I have worked with are in their early twenties and obsessed with marriage.


I picked up my phone to call her secretary by 9:00AM.


"Hello, am I on to Miss Rita's secretary?"


"Yes please. What can I do for you?"


"I have an appointment with Miss Rita by 2:00PM, she requested that I call to confirm the appointment today" I said sounding professional.


"Oh! You are from Pure Haven? I'm supposed to call you by 9:00AM, I was about to call. She's not in Lagos at the moment. Miss Rita has an urgent business in Abuja, she'll take a late flight to Lagos and meet with you tomorrow. Is 2:00PM Okay for you tomorrow?"


"Can I check my schedule and send a text to confirm the appointment?" I said quickly.


"Of course, enjoy the rest of your day Miss..."


"I'm MJ" I said with a smile.


"I'm Lola. Thanks for being cool with everything, Miss Rita will see you tomorrow. She's opening a new boutique in Abuja and it's taking much of her time" she sounded apologetic.


"It's fine Lola; expect my text soon".


"Bye" she said and dropped the call.

I checked Rita's profile again and knew instintively that she's going to be a difficult client. She's 38, has a Masters Degree in business administration and owns chains of boutique all over Nigeria. I tried to imagine myself as a spinster at 38. "MJ dont go there, that's a recipe for depression".


I checked the time and called Mom. I have lunch by 12:00Noon and she want to check if we are still hanging out together.


"Hi Mom".


"MoniJesu"


"I have lunch break by 12 and there is this nice restaurant close to my workplace..."


"Dont worry MJ, I have another Eatery in mind. It's not far, I'll pick you up from the office and drop you after our lunch. You don't need to come with your car".


"As your Lordship pleases. You are paying for this lunch Mom, you are the one with a wealthy husband" I said jokingly.


"The last time I checked my wealthy husband is your father. Hope you are wearing something nice? I don't want people to compare after feeding on my Chic appearance" I could hear the smile in her voice.


"I know I'm your ugly daughter. I wish I had inherited your fair skin and curves, do you think I can still remedy that?"


"Don't you dare touch a bleeching cream or I'll disown you! Bye Moni"


"Yes Mom" I said lovingly.


I called Margret Thatcher to inform her about the new development with Rita. 


"Meet with her tomorrow MJ, you can take the rest of the day off after making sure she signs that contract".


"Yes Mrs"


"Another thing, I made my research and discovered she has a Doctorate degree not Masters. Address her as Dr Rita, and be sure to admire her achievement and business skill. This pitch will require your best, I'm confident that you can handle this".


"Thanks for your vote of confidence Mrs, I'll try my best".


I went back to Rita's file and searched for her profile on Social Media. I devoured all the information I could lay my hands on and still felt it wasn't enough; I decided to discuss Rita with Mom over lunch.


I was feeling hungry around noon and was glad when Mom's call came in.


"Moni, I'm waiting"


I quickly locked the door to my office and headed out. She was looking Chic and beautiful as usual.


"You are not looking bad, hop in!" she said.


Mom has been driving herself for as long as I can remember; she only employed one driver and had fired him when I was nine. I couldn't remember what transpired between them.


The Eatery was a little bit far from my office but it was nice and cozy. I suddenly remembered that we used to eat at this spot regularly when I was about ten.


We sat and a waiter came to collect our order. Their food was tasty and I savoured every bite. We ordered for dessert after eating.


"So you have been enjoying this delicious food all my yourself" I muttered while wiping my lips.


"You don't remember this place?" Mom said looking amused.


"It certainly look familiar to me"


"Do you remember Auntie Beatrice?"


"I can't recollect her face, I dont think she's one of my favourite people when I was young"


"I don't think you have many favourite people when you were young" Mom said making a face and I laughed.


"I thought you were taking me to somewhere scary. Your statement about Daddy not being perfect gave me a scare yesterday. I actually thought you were serious" I said feeling relaxed.


"I was" Mom said and sipped her wine.


"Mom, I know you love me so much but there is no way I'm going back to Steve. I know myself: I am this kind of selfish person that hates to share. You didnt know how much it cost me to share you and Dad with Bobby, I didn't know I'll fall in love with him" .


"MJ, I'm your mother and know how generous you are. If any girl is getting on your way you should know how to eliminate her so that you can keep your man".


"How many will I eliminate Mom? Steve has over 10 women clinging unto him right now. There is a desperate girl called Remi that almost turned me into a mental patient".


"And what did you do about it?" Mom asked looking amused.


"I don't have any business with her. Steve was my man; he was supposed to give me commitment and security".


'I told you your Dad wasn't perfect, something happened when you were 8 years. I had a brief labour during your birth but it was still traumatic for me. I was educated about all the birthing process and I opted for CS, I never thought I would have to go through labour".


"I'm sorry Mom" I said holding her hand.


"Taking care of you wasn't easy either Moni. It was my choice to be involved in your life, I wanted to be a mother to you in every way but you were an handful".


"I remembered all the stunts I pulled as a child and was sorry for them. If I could go back in time I would choose to be a meek and obedient child; I had no idea that Mom went through a hard time because of me.


"Mom?"


"It's fine Moni, I have never regretted giving birth to you. I was probably worse when I was your age" She said smiling.


"Thanks" I mouthed.


"Your Dad was obsessed with having another child which I was against. His Mother started putting pressure on me and I finally gave in when you turned 5. That was when we discovered I can't have another child. I was OK with you because you were enough for me but you Father was devastated"


"Dad wanted another child?"


"Yes, a male preferably. It has nothing to do with his love for you, he was under a bad influence".


"What happened?" I said looking at Mom's face.


"There was another woman..."


"Jesus!"


"Moni, I want you to calm down and listen attentively. It all happened in the past and we have moved past that, but if  wanting a perfect man like you Dad is the reason you are still single I need to tell you".


"How did you find out?" I asked looking devastated. I never imagined in my wildest dream that Dad could do something like that.


"You are the reason I found out. If anyone had told me I wouldnt have belived. I noticed he was withdrawing from me, having meetings I knew nothing about, and he stopped getting bothered about us having another child".


"I told you? I can't remember something like that happening".


"You came to me one day and asked why your Dad loved Auntie Beatrice. Aparently he must have received a call from her in your presence or exposed her texts to you unknowingly".


"She's Beatrice? I had a vague memory of reading Dad's text one day. I was playing with his phone and the text came in".


"I hired someone to follow him and discovered they had been seeing each other for several months. She was a waitress at one of the hotels where your Dad do hold board meetings".


"Jesus! You saw her? Did you confront Dad when you found out?"


"Not at first, I handled her first".


"What did you do to her? You didn't kill her or did you?" I said looking scared.


"If I killed her you wont be eating delicious food here; she owns this Eatery" Mom said laughing.


I sighed in relief but I was curious, I wanted to know how Mom handled the situation.


"So what did you do?"


"I traced her. You Dad rented a luxurious apartment for her and bought her a car. I knew I had to act fast. I spoke to our family doctor and learnt she was once pregnant but miscarried the baby".


"I can't believe Dad did all these!"


"She came back from night shift one morning and I was in her apartment waiting for her. She was from a poor background and was using your father to upgrade her status, I can't understand your Dad's attraction to poor people".


"You believe Dad was innocent in all these?" I said in disbelieve. I can't believe I had idolize this man all these years.


"I gave her two options: It is either she leaves your Dad and get a nice 'settlement' from me or continue with him and risk being eliminated. I wasn't one of those weak and coward wives. She must have gotten my message and she made a smart choice".


"Mom! You would have killed her?"


"Maybe"


"Mom! You were wrong and so was Dad".


"Moni, my method might not be conventional but it was effective. If I find a threat in my marriage my first move would be to eliminate it".


"How many threat will you eliminate for Dad? He failed as a husband and he should take responsibility!"


"Like your Boss' husband? You might find yourself out of job soon, a side chic already took over Abosede's house and she's currently facing divorce".


"You mean Margret Thatcher?" I said in disbelief.


"Is that what you call her? Abosede was the softest girl I have ever met, she got tough too late".


"Jesus! Just wow. How do women put up with philandeering husbands and make excuses for them?" I was getting angry by the minute.


"I confronted your Dad after handling Beatrice. He was sorry and promised to change. I told him I won't hesitate to divorce him and go away with you. He told me a friend advised him to get a son through another woman. I realized how much not having a son affected him and I agreed that we can adopt one. That was when we agreed to go for Bobby".


"He should have discussed it with you..."


"He has been suggesting we adopt a baby even before we had you but I was stubborn. I hired someone to follow him since then and he didn't make any mistake. I didn't let down my guard again; he was playing golf throughout yesterday with a friend at one of their clubs..."


"Mom! I can't belief you are doing this".


"A man can make mistake Moni, every man has a weak moment".


"She's pregnant Mom"


"Who?"


"Steve's girlfriend"


"Why didn't you tell me since yesterday? I won't waste my time giving all these lectures. He slept with her without protection? In this age where HIV is everywhere?".


"Steve was always careful, she must have forced herself on him at his weak moment or when he was drunk. I don't pity him Mom, I have been warning him about drawing boundaries. Your husband could have gotten HIV too Mom".


"Isn't your lunch break over? I have to meet with a friend this evening and want to prepare". She said looking at her watch.


"It is. Lets head out Mom" I said standing up.


"Want to say hi to your Auntie Beatrice?"


"Nah! I might strangle her".



To be continued...


Don't forget to drop your comment after reading, feel free to use the share icon and share this story via link. Follow the blog so that you'll get notification when I drop another Episode. Episode 6 will be available on Monday.



To read free articles/content on relationship and marriage click HERE


DON'T MISS THIS!

1. 3 Months to Thirty

2. 3 Months to Thirty Prologue

3. 3 Months to Thirty EP 1

4. 3 Months to Thirty EP 2

5. 3 Months to Thirty EP 3

6. 3 Months to Thirty EP 4

7. Why Guys Dump Good Girls



Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)