3 Months to Thirty Episode 2

0

3 Months to Thirty by Sarah Adeniji






 EPISODE 2

Missing Steve

Dear Diary, I woke up on Monday morning highly motivated and ready to face the world. I have missed work since Thursday and I knew I had half chance of losing my job. I have a highly disciplined Margret Thatchet boss that has never turned the other eye when her employee goes AWOL.


I had received about twenty missed call from her everyday since Thursday but I had ignored them, heck! I didn't even pick Suzie's call. I was so pitiable and emotional down that I had crawled into a hole after that mean encounter with Shade. I'll be lucky not to lose my job today.


I got employed by "Pure Havens" three years ago as a Secretary to Mrs Abosede Amusat. She is the wife of a business morgul and was Mom's friend in the University of Lagos. I didn't really need the job or money but it came at a time when I needed so much stability in my life. I had poured my heart into the job, and attained the position of Personal Assistant from being just a secretary under a year. I have been PA for two years now.


The company "Pure Havens" handles everything that has to do with wedding, from hall bookings to caterings, decorations, event planning etc. We practically take away the stress from intending brides but our service didn't come cheap. Popular celebrities, wealthy socialites, politicians, and top business men's daughters patronise us.


It took me about 1 hour drive in my car before I got to our office at Lekki, I parked my car and took the elevator to the first floor. We don't resume activities till around 9:00AM and it was 8:15AM when I parked my car.


I met Mary on her seat and three of our staff. I received their greetings with a smile, I opened my office door and entered. The office was neat as usual, the first thing I did was to put on the Air conditioner before I sat.


I heard a loud knock on my door and Mary entered.


"MJ!!! What happened? We were all worried when we couldn't reach you" there was so much concern written all over her face.


Mary was a nice girl, she liked me genuinely despite the fact that I was everything she isn't. Mary is the plain Jane kind of a girl that no man would look at twice; she had no sense of fashion and never wore makeup since she started working in the company. She is a little bit on the big side, and has been having boyfriend problems since I knew her.


"Mary, thanks for your concern. I was a little bit under the weather but I'm fine now" I gave her a beautiful smile.


"MJ, aren't you scared? Madam was infurated on Thursday when you didn't sign in, she went crazy on Friday. You had an "On Site" assignment on Saturday and she had to call me to stand in for you".


"How was the "On Site" Assignment?".


"MJ, I died after the assignment. I was literally begging for death. How do you manage to pull it off all these years? I'm glad you are back because I'll rather die than go through that again" Mary was looking pitiable and I believed her.


"Don't worry about Margret Thatcher, I can handle her. You won't have to bother about going on another assignment because I'm fully back now" Both Mary and I knew that my statement about handling Madam was a lie. I was afraid of losing my job but was putting up a brave front.


"You completely disappeared from the surface of the earth and left us that are human to suffer. I have to fine you for that Queen MJ" Mary said blinking her eyes behind her spectacle.


"OK!!! I got it! Lunch is on me" 


"You are serious right? I can order everything I want? Fried rice, salad dressing, chicken chest, fanta..."


"Yes! You can eat as much as you want. Now leave my office and let me work" I said laughing. I wanted to tell her to watch her weight and stop packing in too much calories into her system but I wasn't in the mood to lecture her.


I started thinking about what to tell Margret Thatcher immediately Mary left, I knew she'll be mad at me especially because I had an "On Site" assignment. I prayed Mary didn't handle it poorly and we didn't lose a client.


What I dreaded most is seeing a snake and going on an "On Site" assignment. I would joyfully choose killing a snake any day than having to go for a field assignment.


Most times when we have an "On Site" assignment it is usually because something had gone wrong at the wedding venue. I had done everything from pacifying an angry groom who wanted the wedding canceled to bringing back a runaway bride. There was a time we had  two brides at the wedding venue and it was a disastrous day. The bride who was a twin had requested for a private beach wedding with a minister to bless their union and about two hundred guests. Her identical twin who had a score to settle with her had appeared at the venue with same wedding dress, same hair, makeup and same shoe.


There was a pandemonium at the wedding because the guests could not tell them apart. Their father does not have a close relationship with his daughters and didn't know which was which. Their mother who could tell them apart was late, she was being represented by their step mother.


When I received that call and an "On Site" Instruction from Margret Thatcher that Saturday I wasn't aware of the situation until I walked into the venue. The bride came alone to book our service, I had not seen her twin before and couldn't tell which was which when I got there.


Everyone had given up on the wedding holding that day, both twin were crying that they were both the bride and the groom was in tears because he couldn't tell them apart. It was a private wedding and we didn't grant any access card to media reporters but people had started taking pictures with their phones.


I didn't earn earn the name "Queen MJ" for no reason. I managed to stop myself from running mad, I had a two minutes chat with both crying brides and instructed the security to take away the one with a smug smile. You won't feel like smiling when your wedding to the man of your dream was about to be canceled.


I heard Margret Thatcher's voice before I saw her face and I knew I was in trouble.


"Did MJ sign in today?" She asked in an authoritative tone.


"Yes Mrs, she's in her office" Mary replied.


My office and hers were connected, I heard her footstep as she walked into her office and my heart sank. "Would I really be able to pull this off? What if I ended up losing my job?"


My phone rang few minutes later and I picked it up with shaky fingers.


"MJ, appear right away!!!" She screamed and ended the call.


I straightened my top and picked up the file I had been working on. I knocked softly and entered.


"Good Morning Mrs" I had school myself to maintain calmness and wasn't doing bad.


"What's good about the morning? You think this is your father's business and you can come only when you feel like it?" She was spitting fire like the dragon she was.


"I can explain Mrs, I was indispose..."


"And you phone was indisposed too?"


"I'm sorry"


"I don't think you realized what you did MJ, your action cost us an important client. The entire wedding was a disaster on Saturday, it was a public disgrace for our company. Bailing on your job and contract with the company is totally unacceptable, you know the punishment for your violation..."


"It was a life and death situation I swear!"


"Don't interrupt me when I'm speaking!" She shouted angrily. 


I was moved to tears but I managed to keep my composure "MJ don't grumble, you are strong and you can do this"


"I spoke to Folu, I was so worried I had to call your mother. She told me you didn't step out of your apartment for 3days, what were you thinking? You want the rest of the world to just stand still because you are in a bad mood?"


I didn't know she spoke with Mom, it kind of threw me off balance.


"This is the last time this is happening. I should have reached out to you, I'm sorry for getting you worried" I cast her an apologetic smile and prayed she'll let the whole thing slide.


"Does it involve a man?"


"N...o, it's not what you are thinking Mrs" I said hastily.


"MJ, you are such a bright and promising young lady; you have everything going on well for you. Why do you want to throw your life away because of a man?" She doesn't look angry anymore and I could relax a little.


"Mrs, this has nothing to do with a man. It must be my hormones or something"


"MJ, I don't believe you. You think I have not been watching you? I have been noticing a change for some months now. You are dedicated and you are pulling your weight around here but you have simply lost that fire in you. If you allow a man to ruin your life you'll regret it. I don't understand why your generation has this obsession with marriage. Chase your dreams and live your life MJ, there are only few good guys out there. Most of those men want to steal your fire, they are so selfish and narcissistic"


I knew I dare not interrupt her lectures so I waited patiently for her to finish, standing on my heels listening to a lecture I didn't pay for was not part of my plans for the day. I contemplated on sitting down on one of the empty cushioned chairs before me but I knew it would incurr her wrath.


"MJ, most of these men are scums!!! They don't have any good thing to offer you apart from heartbreak. I don't want to lose another promising girl to this nonsense. Now get your head straight and get back to work! I'm not letting you off the hook easily, you have a query to answer" she waved me away and picked up her phone.


I was relieved to finally escape the lion's den. I was occupied throughout the day but her words kept ringing in my ears. "Men are scum! Men are scum! They are narcissistic and are out to steal your shine!"


I have about three files I have been working on and I have to set up a meeting with the intending couples this week. I spent so much time on the phone talking to caters, and owners of event centers, I was dead tired by the time I drove out of the parking lot by 6:00PM.


I missed Mom's calls thrice and planned to see her when I get home in the evening. I was hungry and thought about eating out but I wasn't ready to be gawked at by randy men just yet.


It was getting dark by the time I got to our home at VGC, I have heard so many people describe our house as a mansion but to me it is simply home. I stepped out of my car and Fatima my personal maid rushed to collect my bag. I knew I owed her an apology for the way I sent her out of my apartment on Thursday night when she kept knocking but she was all smile this morning.


"Madame MJ!" 


"Fatima, please don't worry about my bag, I'm going straight to my apartment. Is Daddy back?"


"No Madame"


"What about Mom?"


"She's in the sitting room"


"I'll see her later, get me something delicious from the kitchen. Be fast about it, I'm starving"


I have my own apartment but I have to pass through the main sitting room to get there, I think Mom purposely gave me the apartment so that she can monitor all the men that came to visit me.


"My Baby is back" Mom said smiling.


I walked in and gave her a hug "I love you Mom"


"I know, don't think you can get away with this. You have lots of explanations to do"


"I know! I know! " I raised my hands up in surrender and smiled as I moved away. 


"I need to shower and then put something in my stomach, I'm starving" 


"Fatima will bring your dinner, don't take too much chicken..."


"Watch your weight MJ!" I finished for her. "If I get thinner than this I'll just disappear" I said and walked out of ear shot.


I allowed the water to run down my body as I reminiscenced on the event of the day and Margret Thatchet's lectures came back to me.


"All men are scums, they have narcissistic..."


I allowed myself to think about Steve my ex and I discovered that I missed him greatly. "Steve was different, Steve wasn't narcissistic and he was a fantastic boyfriend".


Steve was crazy about me and everyone knew, he did all those things I always wanted men to do for me. He struck all the right cords and was good with PDA, he would have proposed on his birthday If I had not spoilt everything.


"MJ, you are crazy. You know what thinking about Steve can do to you"


I wanted to stop but I was powerless to do so. I stepped out from the jacuzzi and grabbed my towel. I remembered how Steve celebrated my last birthday in a big way and I smiled. I still didn't understand how I ended up making both of us miserable.


Steve was the man I allowed to bend me, and I did everything to fit into his lifestyle. I was 27 and a little bit desperate when I met him, 27 was late for me considering the fact that my Mom got married at the age of 21. Mom fell in love with Steve the moment she met him or should I say he charmed my mom with his bubbling personality? Even Bobby was crazy about him.


I was creaming my body when I reached for my phone unconsciously. I had blocked Steve everywhere after our breakup about 6 Months ago; I was willing to throw away the 2 good years we spent together because I was losing my mind.


I knew it was a bad idea but I unblocked him and dialed his line, it was around 9:00PM and I knew he'll be home by now. He didnt pick the phone the first time, I wanted to dial his line again but I restrained myself.


I was about putting on my robe when my phone rang. I checked the called and it was Steve.


"Hi" I said dryly.


"Leave my man alone you slut!" she screamed.


I picked the voice instantly and knew it must be Remi.


"Remi?"


"Yes! Steve's fiancee on the line. I have been waiting for you to stage a come back MJ, Steve is mine now!"


I heard a voice at the background and then there was sound of someone wrestling the phone from her hand.


I ended the call and sat on my bed quietly. "Calling Steve was a bad idea"


I can hear someone knocking, I'll tell you about Steve tomorrow.


To be continued...


Don't forget to drop your comment after reading, feel free to use the share icon and share this story via link.  Follow the blog so that you'll get notification when I drop another Episode. Episode 3 will be available on Monday. 


To read free articles/content on relationship and marriage click HERE


DON'T MISS THESE!

1. 3 Months to Thirty

2. 3 Months to Thirty Prologue

3. 3 Months to Thirty EP 1

4. 3 Months to Thirty EP 2

5. 3 Months to Thirty EP 3

6. 3 Months to Thirty EP 4

7. 3 Months to Thirty EP 5

8. Why Guys Dump Good Girls




Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)